BRIG is a free cross-platform (Windows/Mac/Unix) application that can display circular comparisons between a large number of genomes, with a focus on handling genome assembly data. The application is available at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/brig
- Images show similarity between a central reference sequence and other sequences as concentric rings.
- BRIG will perform all BLAST comparisons and file parsing automatically via a simple GUI.
- Contig boundaries and read coverage can be displayed for draft genomes; customized graphs and annotations can be displayed.
- Using a user-defined set of genes as input, BRIG can display gene presence, absence, truncation or sequence variation in a set of complete genomes, draft genomes or even raw, unassembled sequence data.
- BRIG also accepts SAM-formatted read-mapping files enabling genomic regions present in unassembled sequence data from multiple samples to be compared simultaneously
Please cite the BRIG paper if BRIG is used to generate figures for publications:
NF Alikhan, NK Petty, NL Ben Zakour, SA Beatson (2011) BLAST Ring Image Generator (BRIG): simple prokaryote genome comparisons, BMC Genomics, 12:402. PMID: 21824423